A few weeks ago I saw Lisa‘s extremely cute Socks for Veronik. So, you all know me, I see shiny and I chase shiny. I got home, wound up my Malabrigo Sock Yarn in Rayon Vert that had been marinating in the stash and took off.
The lace pattern is very easy to remember. I got through the first sock fairly quickly, following the pattern as written. That’s when I realized the sock didn’t fit.
I started making a deal with Cristi where she would take the socks and trade me for sock yarn at some point (we have a constant trade going on, she and I). See, I REALLY DO NOT LIKE TO RIP, unlike some of my friends who must rip a project at least 3 times before they’re satisfied.
Once I’d struck up a deal, I moved on the second sock. When I got down to the heel flap, I decided to try adding another 10 rows to the flap (about an inch). I’d found the flap kind of small on the first sock but decided to ignore it. Not this time. I also added one more repeat to the foot, AND worked the toe decreases until I had 10 sts left, cutting the yarn and pulling it through all sts as if it were the top of a hat.
Well, guess what? The sock fit. So, I had to suck it up and rip out the first sock. But I now have a very pretty comfy pair of socks in a yarn which colorway I actually hunted down once I saw it in person when Mary Ann got hers. The decreases on the top of the toe are interesting since they’re done with those p3tog that you see running up the middle instead of the more traditional decrease on each side of the foot. The bottom of the toe does have the decreases on either side tho.
All in all, I’m happy with my purty new socks.
Socks for Veronik
- Source: Interweave Knits, Holiday 2007
- Yarn: Malabrigo Yarn Sock, 0.76 skeins (335 yds)
- Color: Rayon Vert
- Needles: US 1
- Cost: $14.40
- Started: March 16, 2009
- Finished: April 11, 2009
- Mods: Scroll up. 21 total chart repeats from top of sock to toe for my size 11 foot.