Last year, I was brave enough to submit a design to Knitty for the first time. I waited at the edge of my seat for weeks before hearing back from Amy that she loved my design but wanted to save it for the Fall issue instead of the Spring issue I’d submitted it for. FINE BY ME! :o)
So now, a little over a year after I took it off the needles, I present to you Mi Escuelita. Inspired by my beautiful daughter, Rossani aka Little Rosi, I made this cabled sweater for her. She needed a school sweater to add some color to her boring uniform of navy blue bottoms and white shirts.
The sweater needed to be quick, easy and comfy for her. Not to mention the quality had to be good to take the amount of washings a school sweater gets in any given year.
The body of the cardigan is knit in one piece, back and forth to the armholes then set aside. The sleeves are knit in the round to the armholes on double pointed needles or using the Magic Loop method. All pieces are then placed on one long circular needle and the yoke is knit. Buttonbands, buttonhole bands and shawl collar are knit onto the garment later.
The generous shawl collar acts as a scarf under a jacket or coat to keep her neck nice and toasty.
I was able to complete her sweater with a day or two to spare before she started 2nd grade last year. Needless to say, Rossani wore her sweater all year loving how all her friends and teachers always said what a pretty sweater she was wearing and she proudly announced, “My mommy made it for me!!!” :o)
Mi Escuelita (My Little School or My Darling School)
- Source: Knitty, Fall 2009
- Size: Shown here in size 8 years
- Yarn: Bollicine Dolly
- # of skeins: for this size I used a total of 781 yds almost exactly (5.1 skeins of suggested yarn). For the two largest sizes, you could probably get away with 1 skein less than the suggested amounts.
- Color: Pink #454
- Needles: US Size 5
- Gauge: 24 sts and 32 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch
- Cost: $3.83 per skein, $19.53 total for the yarn; $0.75 per button, used 5 = $3.75 – Total cost: $23.28
- Started: August 29, 2008
- Finished: September 5, 2008