Warning: This post is EXTREMELY pic heavy. :o)
I must say that this is the garment with THE most work that I have ever knit. This coat surpassed even my seamless EZ cardigan!
The knitting of it was fun with the crazy construction of the coat. But that crazy construction also meant that seaming it was alot of work! Add to that the fact that I wanted it lined. Yea, I didn’t do the lining but if I WOULD HAVE it would’ve been even more work! ðŸ˜‰
I chose a nice, silk rayon designer lining in bright colors for my coat.Â It adds warmth and helps the coat keeps its shape.
My best friend, Moises, is a tailor (lucky for me!).Â He did the cutting and sewing for the lining.Â He cut each piece of lining out before I seamed the coat together to ensure that the pieces were all the same (and plus, it was just easier!).Â He folded the back in half and laid it on the fold of the fabric to cut that piece.Â Since the fronts were the same, he used only one front and cut two pieces (one for each side).Â The sleeves each had a different angle, not your standard set-in sleeve here, nope!Â So he cut those individually.Â Very importantly, he cut all the pieces at least 1″ larger all the way around to give him a seam allowance plus a margin of error in case the coat grew when blocked.Â It did grow, but not too much.
He seamed all of the pieces of lining together while I took the coat home, soaked, blocked and seamed it up.Â I brought the coat back to him and he attached the lining.
To give the lining some looseness and at the same time, keep it in place, he attached 4″ x 0.5″ stripes of fabric at 8 key points along the shoulders and underarms from the lining to the coat (sorry, I didn’t get a pic of these!).Â The lining came out FANTASTIC!Â Thanks, Moe!Â Love you, bro!
By vote, all of you chose my big, brown square buttons which I think were a great choice.Â Thank you, reader(s)!Â :o)
I am extremely pleased with my new coat and if you catch me at Rhinebeck in two weeks, you’ll get to see it in person!
- Source: Interweave Knits, Fall 2009
- Size: 50″
- Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool, 4.16 skeins, 1988.5 yards
- Color: Black #8095 (altho it’s more of a chocolate brown)
- Needles: US Size 8 and 9
- Gauge: as pattern
- Cost: yarn – $55.96, buttons – 3 * $2.80 ea. = $8.40, lining – 2.5 yds at $8 per yd = $20; GRAND TOTAL = $84.36
- Started: August 14, 2009
- Finished: September 27, 2009
- Mods: I added an inch to each sleeve and the lining.