So it seems I got my holidays confused or something. I knit a pair of halloween socks when it’s almost Christmas!
Mary Ann (knittingleftie) had an extra skein of Wollmeise sock yarn in the Thriller colorway. Since I only had one other skein, I decided to buy it from her.
I was in the mood to cast on for new things with new yarn so I immediately cast on for these Slippery Socks from Knitty. The pattern is well written and easy to follow. I also decided to use dpns instead of magic loop for these (since I was on a roll with my dpns from the last project). AND…..these are knit TOP DOWN!! I hadn’t knit top down socks in quite a while. In fact, I usually turn top-down patterns around and knit them toe-up.
Once, I’d finished these socks and put them on, I said to myself, “Now, really Rosi, are you going to wear these LOUD ASS SOCKS???”
I sold them to my coworker for the cost of the yarn. She said her daughter will love them. I hope she wears them in good health.
BTW, the winners of my Scramble contest are: Karen S. Denise D., and Jen C. Congrats, ladies, and thanks for playing!! 😀
- Source: Knitty
- Size: US 10 – 11 Shoe
- Yarn: Wollmeise Sockenwolle 100% superwash 0.64 of a skein, 368 yds). I have enough yarn left over to make a kids pair of socks or adult anklets. Wollmeise is generous with the yardage!
- Color: Thriller
- Needles: US 1.5 dpns
- Cost: $16
- Started: November 16, 2008
- Finished: December 3, 2008
- Mods: None.
With Rhinebeck coming up, I’ve been busily reviewing my stash and budget. Times are hard and yarn at RB can get expensive with my tastes (Briar Rose Fibers, Brooks Farms, Shelridge Farms, etc.). So I’ve cut back on some of what was in my Rav Q as yarn to be purchased next weekend. I also wanted to use up some of what I bought last year to justify purchasing even ONE skein there.
Hence, the 3-day sweater was born. Last weekend was a slow one at Chez G (that, and I wasn’t feeling too well, anyway). So I stood home from work Friday, laid up on the couch watching the tube and decided to cast on for a top-down cardi from Sweaterbabe, appropriately named the Women’s Top-Down Short-Sleeved Cardigan. I think this is the fastest sweater I’ve ever knit. I love me some top-down. I feel like it goes so much faster!
I used some 100% alpaca that I got from a shop called Times Remembered at Rhinebeck in ’07. I doubled the yarn. It’s the softest sweater I own! It’s quite cozy and is great for this crazy autumn weather that can be cold one minute and way too hot the next.
The buttons come from a little shop on 39th Street and 8th Avenue named Varhdman. The lady has a huge selection and it’s where I’ve been getting most of my buttons lately.
All in all, a very satisfying, quick FO. Great way to use up my stash yarn and make room for new purchases!
Women’s Top-Down Short-Sleeved Cardigan
- Source: Sweaterbabe
- Size: XL (42-44″ bust)
- Yarn: Times Remembered Alpaca (2 skeins, yarn held doubled, total of 1330 yds. If yarn was single the yardage needed would’ve been 665 yds.)
- Color: Natural Nutmeg
- Needles: US 10.5
- Gauge:3.25 sts per inch
- Cost: Yarn: $18.80 per skein * 2 = $37.60
Buttons: $1.50 * 3 = $4.50
TOTAL COST: $42.10 (eh, not my best, but it’s a mighty warm cozy cardi!)
- Started: October 3, 2008
- Finished: October 5, 2008
- Mods: Increased the raglan until I had 41 sts for the sleeves. Added 4 sts on each side of sleeve instead of the 2 called for in pattern. Also picked up 8 sts at the underarm on the body to match the 8 for the sleeve. Slipped the first stitch of each row on the sleeves only. Added a third button and buttonhole. I only knit 12 rows of garter for the end of the sleeve (bound-off on the wrong-side using k2tog tbl method).
I had more than enough yarn left over from my Bounce hat to make this cute scarf!
Garter Stitch Loop-Through Scarf
- Source: 101 One-Skein Wonders
- Yarn: Fleece Artist Kid Silk 2-ply (113 yds)
- Needles: US 9
- Started: September 27, 2008
- Finished: September 28, 2008 (could’ve been done in one day but I started really late)
- Mods: I only did yo’s on the tips of the scarf. Since I was using larger needles and thicker yarn, I only increased to 22 sts.